Twenty Ministers of Finance Call to action on climate change to help world’s vulnerable countriesOct 5, 2015
Finance Ministers from 20 vulnerable countries, representing close to 700 million people across the globe, have joined forces to create the V20, or Group of the Vulnerable Twenty, representing economic and financial interests of nations highly at risk due to climate change.
The historic step in establishing this new global group, meeting for the first time in Lima on October 8, is aimed at mobilizing forces ahead of December’s climate change conference in Paris – COP21, and beyond.
Media are invited to attend the opening and closing sessions of the first meeting of the V20 group of nations – which includes Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Barbados, Bhutan, Costa Rica, Ethiopia, Ghana, Kenya, Kiribati, Madagascar, Maldives, Nepal, Philippines, Rwanda, Saint Lucia, Tanzania, Timor-Leste, Tuvalu, Vanuatu and Vietnam.
Launch of the V20 (Inaugural Ministerial Meeting)
12:00–12:40pm on 08 October 2015
WB/IMF Annual Meeting in Lima, Sala el Paraiso, 4/F, CC-4, Centro Cultural de la Nación, San Borja
- H.E. Mr. Cesar Purisima, V20 Chair, Hon. Secretary of Finance of the Philippines, H.E. José Francisco Pacheco, Hon. Vice Minister of Finance of Costa Rica, Dr. Atiur Rahman, Governor of Bangladesh Bank among Ministers and Heads of Delegations of 20 highly vulnerable to climate change.
- Jim Yong Kim, President, World Bank Group (WBG)
- Helen Clark, Chair, United Nations Development Group (UNDG) and Administrator United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- Christiana Figueres, Executive Secretary, United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC) (TBC)
- Min Zhu, Deputy Managing Director, International Monetary Fund (IMF)
- Sri Mulyani Indrawati, Managing Director and Chief Operating Officer, WBG
- Janos Pasztor, United Nations Assistant Secretary-General on Climate Change
:For photographers - there will be a photo opportunity at the start of the event. Other media are invited to stay for the first 40 minutes of the event to hear opening statements, and again for the closing 10 mins of the event. A V20 statement will be issued at the end of the event.
To register for event or for additional information, please contact:
- Ms. Josefa Dizon, Phone: +1 (202) 458 0086, E-mail: email@example.com
- Mr. Matthew McKinnon, Phone : +41 78 732 7553, E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
To arrange an interview with spokespersons and for other media inquiries, please contact/liaise with:
- V20/UNDP: firstname.lastname@example.org
- WBG: email@example.com