This report by the United Nations Development Group (UNDG) collects the perspectives on the 'world we want' from over 1 million people around the globe.
6 Reduce child mortality
Where are we?
Big gains have been made in child survival, but efforts must be redoubled to meet the global target.
The target is to reduce by two-thirds, between 1990 and 2015, the under five years old mortality rate, from 93 children of every 1,000 dying to 31 of every 1,000.
Under- five mortality rate, 1990 and 2011 (Deaths per 1,000 live births). Source: The Millennium Development Goals Report 2013
The 8 Millennium Development Goals
- 1 Eradicate extreme hunger and poverty
- 2 Achieve universal primary education
- 3 Promote gender equality and empower women
- 4 Reduce child mortality
- 5 Improve maternal health
- 6 Combat HIV/AIDS, malaria and other diseases
- 7 Ensure environmental sustainability
- 8 Develop a global partnership for development
Targets for MDG4
- Reduce by two thirds the mortality rate among children under five
- Under-five mortality rate
- Infant mortality rate
- Proportion of 1 year-old children immunised against measles